Thursday, June 6, 2013

A New Light

I am safely back from Europe.
What an adventure.
I traveled through four countries in 10 days.
I've never slept so well on such a hard mattress. Those Italians like a stiff bed.
Up by 6 am, home by 10 pm almost every day. Snapping away and loving every minute.

Most important of all, I've thought of a new series. They will come from my pictures and/or compilation of pictures from Europe. I'm going to incorporate architecture into these new ones, because the buildings over there were just too gorgeous not to draw.
Texture.
Speed.
And, of course, color.

I've also been looking at John Singer Sargent a lot lately. I think his brush techniques and rapid gestures will inspire my new paintings as well.


I might experiment some with the layers and faded coloring, although he used watercolors which helps with that effect. I do love watercolor though....
He also did some paintings of Italy.


I suppose he admired their architecture as well.
I can't wait to start. I already have so many ideas to sketch out.

But first, I must finish up my square paintings in preparation for my July show. The process of hanging the art work can sometimes be just as creative as the process of painting.

No comments:

Post a Comment