Thursday, July 5, 2012

String of steel

Ghada Amer is one of the most famous feminist artists in the contemporary art world.
She depicts explicit feminine scenes and embroiders through the entire canvas, creating almost an abstract image.


She utilizes the colors of the strings to create a visually, pleasing composition.
I appreciate her work because it is unique and because it takes months for her to complete one drawing.
I hope to be as dedicated as her.


She moved to New York from Cairo, Egypt and has been a successful artist for almost 20 years.
She does a lot of shows abroad as well, such as Istanbul, France, and South Korea.
Here's a little more information and imagery on Ghada:
http://www.gagosian.com/artists/ghada-amer/

I thought this video was interesting because it shows several close ups of the intricacy of her thread work.
These are definitely worth seeing in person.




What about my progress?
Well color me crazy, I started a new piece.

No comments:

Post a Comment