Tuesday, July 3, 2012

A sneak preview

I had the fortune of meeting a well-known Philadelphia artist named Kirsten Fischler.
I had done a bit of research on her before our face-to-face interaction and had come up with a word to describe her style.
Pulchritudinous
Or simply lovely.


She does these mixed media painting on reclaimed wood; her color palette was an immediate attraction to me. It's very sophisticated and purposeful.


This was actually my favorite individual piece. So simple, so delicate, so decoded.
I am immediately reminded of bar codes and the visual bar codes my best friend was telling me about. There is a website that shows the colored bar codes for certain movies. (http://moviebarcode.tumblr.com/)
For example, this is the bar code for Aladdin:


Can't you just picture the purple genie and the golden palace?
Kippy's work reminds me of these visual codes, as if her paintings are different codes for segments of her life. Perhaps she was having a good year when she painted these:


Regardless, it was definitely a splash of cold water talking to her about my future.
I have a lot of research to do, and a lot of progress to make.
But anyone who knows me recognizes that I'm a stubborn, red-head.
So color me determined.

For more about Kippy-http://www.barnstonegallery.com/kirstenfischler.html.

No comments:

Post a Comment