Friday, June 29, 2012

"Weird Ideas"

A good friend of mine recently introduced me to the artist Eric White.
He handed me a small book called "Who Are Parents" and said, "This guy is pretty cool. I think you'll like him."
I think he's discovered what is and what isn't dianaistic.


I saw his work and was immediately captivated. How is that a painting? And how is it only a 2 foot square with that impeccable detail?

Turns out Eric is a Michigander. I guess he doesn't mind the cold weather.
He went to RISD and has lived in California and New York (currently).
Reading up on a couple of interviews he had, I couldn't help but chuckle after reading: "I didn’t really intend to do caricature work, but I ended up doing quite a lot of it. I was doing work for great clients and getting paid well, but it just began to feel a little disposable. Even though I was very grateful to be drawing and painting all day, every day, I started to get bored with it. I had these other weird ideas in my head that weren’t getting expressed through commercial work." 
http://thegreatdiscontent.com/eric-white
The true mind waves of a fine artist. Now here's someone I could converse comfortably with.


What I like most about his work is his relation to the passage of time in one consecutive moment. He has several car interior paintings that all remind me of the inescapable winding clock of a road trip. It's that nostalgic, relatable presence in his artwork that reminds me, a bit, of my own.

But this painting is what first turned my head.


Three simple colors represent so much sentiment.
I would love the opportunity to see one of his shows. And possibly give him a hand hug.
http://ewhite.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment