Monday, March 31, 2014

"What?!"

My reaction to noticing this artist and realizing she graduated with a BA from Swarthmore, PA.
That's so close to where I am!
Right outside of Philly.

Her name is Njideka Akunyili.
Not only are her mixed-media paintings beautiful, they combine realistic portraiture with abstract expressionism. My whole explanation, except far more intricate and established.
First painting to catch my eye:
Charcoal, acrylic, colored pencil, lace, collage, and xerox transfers on paper
7 ft x 7 ft

You know what it's an image of, yet she still leaves you searching for it.
Her color palette is vibrant yet subdued, creating a visual, chaotic relaxation.
She's had several shows in London, UK and New York, NY. She's been in several residencies, also something I admire and wish to experience soon in life.
But what wows me the most is how boldly she flaunts her interracial marriage to her husband.

Now THAT is a strong human being.
http://njidekaakunyili.com/



I will be that bold.

No comments:

Post a Comment