Friday, June 15, 2012

Showing support

Art isn't just about creating.
Supporting your friends throughout their art career is as equally important.

I attended my first Philadelphia art reception yesterday. My former professor Mark Mahosky was part of a group exhibition at the Fleisher Ollman Gallery. http://www.fleisher-ollmangallery.com/
It was pretty interesting. It was in Center City surrounded by the chaos of city life. You walk through the doors of a dark, unlabeled building to a lobby of six elevators and an old gentleman directing you to your destination of choice. As the elevator approached the floor of the reception, the noise was unmistakable. The doors opened up to a filled gallery full of chatter and color. It was overwhelming, yet exhilarating.
On the pamphlet was a list of each work of art, numbered in clockwise order as you walked around the room. None of the art was labeled on the walls; the only connection one could find from artist to artwork was a very small, black and white photo of the artwork next to the artist name and description on the handout.
Unfortunately, I was only able to snag one photo of Mark Mahosky's works.


He had roughly 10 small drawings, all on this ochre-colored paper. They were beautiful. All were outside scenes drawn with ink and bordered by these intricate doodles.
Here's a close up I found on their website:


It was a great feeling to support my professor and experience a bustling art atmosphere. Hopefully one day, I will experience that first hand, with my art on the walls.

Today I painted to this song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eimgRedLkkU&list=ALHTd1VmZQRNqUqaL3KwGxosYUQpcdoaJp&index=1&feature=plcp

How can you not smile listening to this?


Almost time to mark it Le Fin.

No comments:

Post a Comment